Sunday, June 1, 2008

Princess Ben


Princess Benevolence (Ben) of Montagne is not your average princess: she's plump, clumsy, and loves adventure. Ben's life is pretty happy: she lives with her loving parents in a cozy apartment right off the main castle. But then disaster strikes: her parents are assassinated, (possibly by the rival kingdom, Drachensbett), and Ben is put into the care of the cruel Queen Sophia, who locks her in a tower chamber as a punishment for her incapability of being princess-like. Ben thinks her life is over, but soon finds that it's just beginning: she discovers a portal in the wall which leads her to an enchanted tower right above her chamber! There, she begins to learn magic: making fire, learning to fly a broom, discovering family secrets, encountering many wild adventures...Can Ben save her country from the sly Drachensbett soldiers and find out what really happened to her parents (which might involve learning the secrets of Ancienne, the mysterious mountain looming over Montagne)?
   Catherine Gilbert Murdock has created a fanciful, delicious story that will have readers on the edges of their seats! This exciting fantasy is recommended for all teen girls (not just fans of Murdock's previous books Dairy Queen and The Off Season) who have a taste for good quality books and adventure!

4 comments:

Kyle said...

I just tagged you! to view the details of the tag visit my blog!
bookreivewmaniac.blogspot.com

Em said...

I liked this too. It seemed very original to me when I was reading it. I don't know if it is or not, but Gilbert's writing really pulled me in to the story.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! PRINCESS BEN was really good. Do you think I'd like Murdock's other books?

Bookworm said...

Hello Readers!
Em: Yes, I agree. The plot of PRINCESS BEN was totally original, and that's what makes it so special, in my opinion.
Megan: Yes! I think you'd like Catherine Gilbert Murdock's previous novels, "Dairy Queen" and "The Off Season" if you enjoyed "Princess Ben". Although the books are very different, they are both written in the same great style that makes her books fun to read!

Best wishes,
Bookworm