Monday, January 31, 2011

The Monday Muse: Interview with Jennifer Solow



Today's muse: Jennifer Solow
Author of: The Aristobrats (review here)
----------------------------
Bookworm: Welcome, Jennifer! Let's start with the vital question--how did you decide to become a writer?
Jennifer: I was a managing partner/creative director of an advertising agency was stuck in a meeting in Manhattan, just a few blocks from the World Trade Center, on September 11th. By the end of that day I decided that, if there was going to be a tomorrow, I better do something good with it. I left my cushy job and took my first writing class. An assignment I was working on in class eventually became a novel. That novel became a national bestseller. That day I learned that there are no excuses for not doing something you love. It's never too late.

Bookworm: Was The Aristobrats based off of any of your life experiences?
Jennifer: I went to Winchester-Thurston, a school that has similarities to Wallingford. Many of the characters and even some of the names in the book are inspired by people I know. There's a scene in the next Aristobrats book which is exactly something that happened to a friend of mine in school. It was highly embarrassing--I knew it would make it into a book some day!

Bookworm: What was the inspiration behind The Aristobrats?
Jennifer: One word? The anti-Clique. My children are in middle school. I wanted to write something I'd be proud for them to read and they, in turn, would be proud for their friends to read. The book is about the struggles of popularity and being a good person and a good friend. Or at least trying your best. I wanted to write a book about popular girls that also has a good message. You don't have to be Massie Block.

Bookworm: Which Aristobrat are you most like, and why?
Jennifer: I'm a little like all of them but mostly Parker. Parker is insecure deep down but has learned to project confidence to the point where she actually feels it. She's also a good friend. I think I may dress a little crazier--like Kiki.

Bookworm: What was your writing process like?
Jennifer: I write everyday either in my office or in the library. I also exercise every day, which helps my brain kick into gear. Some days I get stuck--on those days I go shopping.

Bookworm: What's your next writing project?
Jennifer: The next Aristobrats!

Bookworm: What were your writing necessities while you were writing The Aristobrats? (for example: music, food, etc...)
Jennifer: I can't listen to music when I write--I find it distracting, although I am inspired by music. I have a lot of Taylor Swift on my "playlist" for this book. Cybervixen. Gwen Stefani. The only thing I need is a spot to sit, my computer and an enormous thermos of Japanese Hojicha tea.
-------------------
Thank you so much, Jennifer!
To find out more about upcoming books and to see which Aristobrat you're most like, visit Jennifer's website here.

1 comment:

Tales of Whimsy said...

*high five* to Gwen and Taylor!