Sunday, March 21, 2010

Miss Match


Author: Wendy Toliver
Pages: 275
Published: Simon Pulse, 2009
Genre: Romantic comedy
Cover score: B
Overall grade: A-
Source: Author

Summary: When it comes to matchmaking, Sasha Finnegan's got real talent, and at sixteen, she even has her own online business for love-seeking high schoolers. Sasha's a pro at setting people up with their "perfect matches", but when cute new boy Derek Urban puts in a request to be matched with Sasha's perfect older sister, Maddie, Sasha finds difficulty. Not that Derek isn't a good guy--the more time Sasha spends with him, the more she realizes how perfect of a match he is for her. But can Sasha push aside her feelings for the sake of her job--or has she met her match?
My thoughts: Miss Match was a light, breezy and fun read perfect for the upcoming summer months! The plot was quick, humorous, and realistic, filled with awesome plot twists and detail.
Sasha was an ideal protagonist--she was totally lovable and relatable, and always spoke her mind with courage and sass. I envy her talent of always having snappy, witty comebacks! Her unique job added extra oomph to the otherwise simple plot, and added humor and tension. Derek was a super-sweet and funny leading man (boy?), and Maddie, Sasha's sister, also spiced up the story.
I was pleasantly surprised at how well-written this story was. I was expecting a light, fluffy plot, but Ms. Toliver combined lots of different, detailed plot threads (ie matchmaking other couples, Derek and Maddie, and Sasha's family drama) so that the storyline was rich and had some depth. The book was the perfect length--there was a perfect flow to the story that never made it boring. I didn't want to put the book down--it was super quick and left me wanting more. Overall, I hope to see more from Ms. Toliver--I think many teen girls will adore Sasha's story!

Must-Read! Check it Out! Don't Bother

7 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

The Simon Pulse Romantic Comedies are mostly quite well-written. I don't expect that from books only issued in paperback, but I've bought most of this series for my library because I was so pleased with them.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Great review! Cute cover!

Anna R said...

Great Review- I love all of Wendy's books- they never fail to be extremly well written and relatable. You will love her new one-LIFTED. A fantastic read. Each of her books get better!! Keep reading and reviewing.

Wendy Toliver said...

Thanks for the fantastic review! I have so much fun writing and I love hearing that readers have enjoyed one of my books. Love your blog! Keep up the great work!

Sara said...

I love romantic comedies, and this one sounds like another great one!

You got an award here, btw! :)

http://yavampirebooks.blogspot.com/2010/03/splash-award.html

Eleni said...

Nice review, it sounds cute!

English Rose ♥ said...

What a great idea for a blog - i'm such a huge bookworm so I shall be visiting regularly

Merci beaucoup for stopping by and for your lovely words - I love your blog too - would you like to exchange links darling?

Have an immense week =]

Stay safe and chic ma chérie,
English Rose x
http://iamanenglishrose.blogspot.com