Thursday, April 29, 2010

I So Don't Do Makeup


Author: Barrie Summy
Pages: 288
Published: May 11 2010, Delacorte Press
Genre: Mystery
Cover Score: A
Overall Grade: A

Sherry Holmes Baldwin isn't looking for another mystery to solve. After all, she's perfectly content the way she is--her boyfriend of two months, Josh, is as adorable as ever; her ghost mother is rising up in the ranks of the Academy of Spirits, and she's throwing the coolest makeover-packed sleepover ever at her house. But when the girls wake up with serious skin problems, Sherry detects something fishy: someone's been tampering with the cosmetics at the cute new makeup kiosk at the mall, and Sherry's going to have to go undercover. With the help of her BFF, Sherry might just crack the case--but first, she's going to have to say "I SO don't do makeup"!
My thoughts: Honestly, I was scared going into I SO Don't Do Makeup. The first two books, I SO Don't Do Mysteries and I SO Don't Do Spooky, were both so great that I didn't know how it was possible to follow them up with yet another kick-butt mystery. Luckily, the ever-awesome Barrie Summy made it possible.
I LOVE Sherry. She is so quirky, funny, and relatable. Ms. Summy has Sherry's age group down--her narration sounded like you typical makeup-obsessed, boy-crazy seventh grader. I loved all of her crazy plots and plans, and her narration had me totally hooked in--I felt like she was talking straight to me. I also appreciated all the twists and turns in the plot. They had me glued to the edge of my seat, and the secondary characters like the Janes and all of the crazy suspects simply spiced the plot up. Of course, I loved the surprise ending! I was so shocked when I realized who the culprit was--it was fabulous!
Sherry's mom also gave the plot a unique aspect--not only was it a mystery, but the ghost academy gave the story a little edge of fantasy (not to mention serious humor).
Once again, another great mystery from Barrie Summy that preteen girls will love--now I can't wait to see what Sherry's up to in the next book, I SO Don't Do Famous (coming May 2011)!

Must Read! Check it Out!!!! Don't Bother

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the cover! It is so cute!

Barrie said...

A and A!!! Yay! Thank you! Linking to you, BTW. ;)