Monday, June 21, 2010

Blood Feud


Author: Alyxandra Harvey
Pages: 272
Published: Walker, June 22 2010
Genre: Fantasy/Romance
Cover Score: B-
Overall Grade: A

As the different vampire clans come together for Helena Drake's coronation as the new vampire queen, old rivalries are fading. However, they have a new common enemy--Lord Montmartre, who has plans on stealing the throne and gaining all power in the vampire world. Now, it's up to the Drakes to unite the different tribes against him, including Isabeau St. Croix's clan, the wild and magical Hounds. Isabeau's intent on getting her own revenge on the vampire who murdered her and left her to die centuries ago, but after she meets Logan Drake, she realizes that fighting for the common cause is just as important...

My thoughts: I loved Hearts at Stake, so I was particularly excited to read Blood Feud, and maybe even a little bit hesitant. But Blood Feud was just as good--if not better than its prequel.
To start off, I loved the alternating points of view from the main characters, Logan and Isabeau. They were both well-developed and had amazing chemistry that made them perfect protagonists. I loved hearing their story going back and forth and seeing how each character perceived certain events.
Having flashbacks to Isabeau's past was an interesting detail to the book. It was a beautiful addition and provided great history to back up the events of the rest of the book, something that I wanted to see in Hearts at Stake. You could tell that Ms. Harvey did her research--the time periods described in the story were in vivid detail, so that I could picture the events clearly. It even made me wish that the snippets of history could be combined into their own story--I would definitely want to read more.
There was the same fast-paced, kick-butt action, heart-pounding thrills, and a romance that felt even stronger, more real, and better defined than the ones in the first book. Some of the details on the world of the Drakes can be a bit confusing, but it's a great alternate to Twilight. Ms. Harvey clearly spent a lot of time creating her own vampire world--and it shows. I can't wait to see what's next for the Drakes (and I hope a lot more from Isabeau and Logan!) in the next book, Out for Blood (Dec 2010).

2 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

You make me want to rip this off my shelf and tear in :)

Sara said...

Great review! I love that you liked this book even better than Hearts at stake! Can't wait to read this one :)