Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Karma Club


Author: Jessica Brody
Pages: 258
Published: Farrar Straus Giroux, 2010
Genre: Contemporary fiction
Cover Score: B
Overall Grade: B
Madison Kasparkova always thought she understood how Karma worked: good deeds are rewarded, and bad deeds are punished. So when Maddy catches her boyfriend of two years cheating on her with perfect Heather Campbell, Maddy decides that she can't wait for Karma to balance the universe and exact revenge on Mason Brooks. He deserves punishment, now. That's when Maddy and her best friends decide to form the Karma Club--a secret organization whose sole purpose is to clean up the messes the universe is leaving behind. By righting the wrongs of former exes and getting payback on mean girls, the girls of the Karma Club believe that they're doing the right thing--they're watching out for each other. But what the girls don't realize is that it isn't wise to meddle with the universe. Because once you mess with Karma, it messes back...Now Maddy must find a way to balance her life for good, as she's created an even bigger mess for herself.

My thoughts: I really liked the concept for The Karma Club. It was fresh, it was fun, it was unique. However, the book fell a bit flat for me in certain areas.
The best part of this book, for me, was when the girls put their plans into action. Their revenge plans were funny and clever, but I wish there were more moments like these! Most of the book was Maddy's internal monologue, and frankly, it got boring after a while. I wanted more action and a faster plot. The story seemed to move slowly, and by the end of the book, I just wanted it to be over already. It took too long to get to the point.
I did love the members of the club, though. Jade, Angie, and Maddy were all hilarious and relatable, which makes this book perfect for teenage girls!
The Karma Club put some good points out there, and I really enjoyed the useful, sincere information about harmony and Karma. Ms. Brody clearly did her research! While a bit slow and quite predictable, The Karma Club is still an entertaining read--maybe just wait until it comes out in paperback.

PS. Watch the awesome trailer here!

1 comment:

mary kate said...

I love the trailer to this and the idea of this book. I can't wait to get my hands on this. Great Review!