Sunday, December 12, 2010

Vixen


Author: Jillian Larkin
Pages: 421
Published: December 14, 2010
Genre: Historical fiction/Romance/Mystery
Cover Score: A
Overall Grade: A+

Welcome to 1920's Chicago, where anything goes....
Seventeen year old Gloria Carmody wants what she can't have, the flapper lifestyle: sneaking into underground clubs, dancing the night away...However, she's engaged to Sebastian Grey, one of the most powerful businessmen in Chicago. Now, her carefree party days are over before they've even started...or are they?
Meanwhile, Gloria's squeaky-clean country-mouse cousin Clara Knowles has come to Chicago to help prepare for the wedding, but looks can be deceiving. Clara's got some dirty little secrets in her past that she'd love to put behind her. But in a dangerous, thrilling city like Chicago, they just might pop up again...
Lorraine Dyer, Gloria's envious, social-climbing best friend, is tired of living in Gloria's shadow. Lorraine's ready to make a splash for herself, and she won't let anyone stand in her way. Someone is going to be very sorry....

My thoughts: I can't stress how much I enjoyed the first book in this smashing new series. Vixen was captivating, dangerous, sexy, and beautifully written. First, I loved the characters in the novel.
The alternating chapters helped me get into each character's head. I could feel Gloria's stress regarding her upcoming forced marriage, Clara's desperation not to fall in love again, and Lorraine's spite towards her "perfect" best friend. Ms. Larkin did a superb job at capturing 1920's society in the pages of her book. I could imagine Chicago perfectly in my head, and each little description of Chicago's wealthy, beautiful young adults made me want to hop in the book and stay there amidst all the danger and romance.
Ms. Larkin's writing style is easy to get in to, and the book whizzed by for me. The mystery aspect was easy to follow, the romance was swoonworth, and the descriptions of everything were simply beautiful. I loved the glamorous, secretive world of underground speakeasies, Mob bosses, and glittering flapper dresses that she created. I loved 1920's fashion, so this book was perfect for me.
In short, I can't recommend Vixen enough. If you're looking for a "totally jake" read, here's your best bet. I can't wait to read the next book, Ingenue, coming out next year!

2 comments:

Diana Dang said...

I totally adore the 1920s look. Definitely gorgeous and one that I'm starting to see resurface a little in today's fashion!

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I'm so glad you loved it! I need to pick this one up! I think I'll like it-looks like THe Luxe which I loved.