Saturday, September 27, 2008

Friday (Er....Saturday) Flashback #1


OK, I admit it, I'm bad. I know it's not Friday and I know that I neglected to post my very first Friday Flashback on the scheduled date yesterday, but will you forgive me if I post it...NOW? Answer: You'd better, cause here I go!
   This month, we're flashing back to.....one of my favorite books for little bookworms, Olivia by Ian Falconer. Olivia is a lively young pig who likes to have fun, whether it's in the form of tormenting her little brother, dressing up in all sorts of different clothes, singing, building sand castles on the beach, refusing to nap, finding a lost toy, saving a circus, and painting! A few days ago, I was in my room, when I saw Olivia on my shelf and just plucked it off of the bookcase and started scanning it again. The illustrations are so cute, fun, and artsy. I just love the scene where Olivia goes to the museum, and there are all the little inlaid copies of real paintings by Pollock and Degas. Isn't the part when she goes to the beach and builds a sandy Empire State Building adorable? Ian Falconer's lovable picture book is creative, cute, and perfect for kids who are 2-7 years old. Plus I just love Olivia's fashion sense-those black and white tights are so cute! What do you like most about Olivia? What was your favorite part? Who is your favorite character? Your favorite book of the series? Any suggestions/recommendations on future Flashbacks (which is now a monthly feature)? Oh-and this week's Monday Muse has been pushed back because of my disorganization...Forgive me, it's been a crazily busy week! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book when I was younger The cute illustrations, the funny main character, the hilarious dialogue...My favorite part was definitely when they go to the museum. And I liked Olivia saves the circus. Oh-for Flashback #2, maybe you could do The Ugly Vegetables by Grace lin. my little sister likes it and it's cute. I like your new feature!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my daughter(age 4)'s favorites. We've read all of them and can't stop!