Friday, January 30, 2009

Talent


Title: Talent
Author: Zoey Dean
Pages: 288
Razorbill, 2008
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Recommended to: Middle-grade girls, 11 and up
Grade: A- (Shh...don't let Steph know)

   Meet Mackenzie "Mac" Little-Armstrong: the daughter of the famed Hollywood talent agent Adrienne Little-Armstrong, Mac rules her Bel-Air middle school with her two best friends: surfer girl and tomboy Evangelina Becks and Coco Kingsley, the daughter of an international pop star. 
   But Mac's ready to be famous for something other than her leadership in school. So when she meets tourist Emily Mungler, who acted her way into a hot premiere party, she knows that this girl has the It that her mother works to find--true talent. But can Mac transform this tourist girl from Iowa into the star she believes Emily is, even if it means losing all her BFFs? Between parties, boy issues, and rivalries, will Emily be able to get her chance at become the Next Big Thing?
   Fun, fun, fun! I absolutely loved Zoey Dean's colorful, fast-paced, and super-chic new novel. It had just as much style and good writing as Lisi Harrison's The Clique books (some of my favorites!) do, but without the excessive cattiness and the consistent naming of labels. In fact, I enjoyed Talent much more--sure, there still were a plentiful amount of labels dropped, and there was some brisk words between Mac and her enemy Ruby, but Ms. Dean kept it down to the perfect amount. 
   I loved all the unique and lovable characters (Becks and Emily would have to be my favorite), and the way Ms. Dean described settings, outfits, and more was simply astonishing and made me feel like I was right there experiencing everything that went on.
   I just found the plotline a little (make that a lot) unrealistic. I mean, a 12 year old being another 12 year old's agent and people taking it seriously? That just seems a little far-out to me.
   Basically, GO OUT AND BUY THE BOOK! It's amazing, and I can't wait to read the second book in the series, Almost Famous!
   I just love a good book, don't you? (:

No comments: