Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging


Author: Louise Rennison
Pages: 247
Published: HarperCollins, 1999
Genre: Realistic/Humorous fiction (diary format)
Cover Score: B
Overall Grade: A-

Meet 14 year old Georgia Nicolson, whose life is very unnormal: her parents are from the Stone Age, her three year old sister likes to hide used diapers in her room, and her mixed-breed cat Angus is certifiably insane. To top it off, there's the boy factor: Georgia's heartbroken over beautiful, gorgeous, guitar-playing Robbie, who Georgia can't even talk to without stammering and staring. Luckily, Georgia's got her best friends on her side...but will she ever be able to nab Robbie?
My thoughts: I've heard so much about this book: it's my favorite, it's SO funny, it's AMAZING...I saw the movie adaptation of the best-selling books, loved it, and knew I had to try the series (why hadn't I thought of this before??).
Angus, Thongs, and Full Frontal Snogging was genuinely hilarious, clever, and witty. I was often laughing out loud. Georgia was just so wonderfully random, honest, and super-sincere. She had a great voice that really made me feel like a fourteen-year-old girl was talking to me. Georgia's problems were all so silly, described in hilarious detail. I felt like I could really sympathize with her, as she was so relatable.
And oh, the British terms used in the story: now I have the urge to go around saying "prat" and "tosser". I loved the cute little glossary in the back of the book, it was very clever!
The only thing that I think could've been improved were some descriptions. I couldn't really picture what the rest of the characters looked like, especially Robbie. The Robbie interactions were brief, and I think that Ms. Rennison could've used more detail when it came to him, because he and Georgia's relationship seemed really abrupt to me, unlike in the movie.
Overall, I am thrilled that I picked this silly, oh-so-funny story up, and look forward to the next book in the series. Definitely a must-read for all teenage girls!

PS. Which cover do you prefer: the paperback (top left) or the hardcover (lower right)?

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I love this series, I've reread them a couple of times. Thanks for sharing your thoughts:)

catharine said...

Thanks for your review! I always saw these books at the library but thought they'd be weird because of the titles, but I think I'll read them now. And I like the green cover better.