Saturday, July 31, 2010

Forgive My Fins


Author: Tera Lynn Childs
Pages: 293
Published: Katherine Tegen Books, 2010
Genre: Fantasy
Age Range: 12 & older
Cover Score: C+
Overall Grade: A

Lily Sanderson has a secret, and it's not just her huge crush on gorgeous swimmer-god Brody Bennett. It's already tough enough that she's a mermaid princess, living on land to take a break from underwater life. Even more, she's living next door to an obnoxious biker boy who loves seeing her mess up--especially in front of Brody. To top it all off, mermaids like her bond for life with their "mermate"--one kiss ties you to a person permanently, so she's attempting to win over the perfect Brody's love. Little does she know, a romantic mishap involving mistaken identity leads to a tidalwave of confusion and drama...and possibly the best mistake she's ever made.

My thoughts: Well, I can honestly say that I loved Tera Lynn Childs's latest. Before diving into Forgive My Fins, I had really enjoyed her first book, Oh.My.Gods, which was filled with the same creativity, humor, and lightness that I found again in Forgive My Fins.
One of the strongest points of this book, I think, was the "mermaid" aspect. It was fresh (I'm so over vampires), and Thalassinia made for a perfect setting that was enchanting and colorful, as well as fun to read about. I really felt like I could picture all of the settings and characters and events in my mind! Another great point of the story were the well-developed, lifelike characters. I loved Lily, who made a wonderful protagonist, and where shall I start regarding Quince? Seriously, I adored him--if only he were a real person...
Although very predictable, Forgive My Fins was a quick, lovable story that I never wanted to end. Even though it starts off a bit slow, definitely give this one a try: it's an ideal summer read. I want more of Lily and Quince, now!!

Must-Read! Check it Out Don't Bother

6 comments:

Jenny N. said...

I really liked this book and am so glad that there will be a second book.

Kate said...

Superb review :)
This sounds like a fun read!

Ms. Yingling said...

I just read this, too. Trying to decide if Lily was too whiny. Good to hear that you liked it.

Barrie said...

Good to read your review. I've been curious about this book. ;)

Giulia said...

i really want to read it but i dont know where to get it.

Bookworm said...

Giulia--
Have you checked out your local public library or bookstore? You can also find it online at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Forgive-Fins-Tera-Lynn-Childs/dp/0061914657/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1283827946&sr=1-1