Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Demon Princess


Author: Michelle Rowen
Pages: 274
Published: September 29, 2009
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal
Cover Score: B+
Overall Grade: A

As if being the new girl at school in a brand-new town wasn't bad enough, sixteen-year-old Nikki Donovan's just gotten another heaping of stress added to her life. When cute-but-mysterious messenger Michael tells Nikki that her father is the king of the Shadowlands, a dimension that protects the human realm from the Underworld, she thinks that he's crazy. But shortly after that, she learns that Michael's telling the truth: her father, a demon king, is dying, and Nikki, being a princess, must take the throne in his place. Add on top of that an evil plot in demon-land, possessing freaky half-demon qualities, forbidden feelings for Michael, and the upcoming winter formal, and Nikki's got a whole lot to deal with...Being a demon princess can be total hell!
My thoughts: I was so pleasantly surprised by Michelle Rowen's debut in YA! The story was smooth, the characters were amazing, and the shadow-world that she invented was jaw-droppingly unique and cool!
I loved Nikki's character. She was funny, brave, and totally relatable: a perfect narrator. I really liked how Ms. Rowen broke stereotypes in her characters: an insecure popular girl, a dad who left but isn't a jerk, etc. (But I would have to say that Michael was by far my favorite character. My God, I love that kid.)
The thing that I loved most about this book was the fast-moving, intriguing plot. Nikki's sticky situation made me feel oh-so-sympathetic, and I was madly flipping pages to see what would happen next. All the creativity in the book was amazing to me: Ms. Rowen created this totally awesome, well thought-out demon world, and I just ate it all up! This whole book was just clever, from the title, to the concept, to the dialogue. All of the cool action just made the book more enjoyable.
Overall, this was one of those rare books that you just don't want to end: you feel like you're in the book, watching everything happen from the main character's perspective! I'm not sure I can wait until June 2010 to get my hands on the sequel, Reign Check, though...Watch out vampires, demons are the next big thing! (:


Must-read! Check it out! Don't Bother

19 comments:

Thao said...

Overall, this was one of those rare books that you just don't want to end this is definitely my kind of book. Thanks for the review.

Kate said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed the book. It sounds like a really good read. Thanks for the awesome review!

Briana said...

Award at our blog!! :)

-Arielle

Enna Isilee said...

This book sounds AWESOME!

Bunny B said...

Your review makes me wanna read this! Sounds fun :) Thanks!

Sara said...

I've been looking at this book for quite awhile. I love that it is one of those books that you don't want to end! I'm especially interested in the romantic plot line!! :)

Janece Suarez said...

Great review. Sounds like a compelling story with well done characters! I had this on my "tentative" TBR list, but it sounds like I need to move it to a Must Read Soon pile. lol!

Kristi said...

Great review - I am always looking for books that I think will entice my teenagers to read - and this sounds like one of them!

Natalie said...

I'm heard so many good things about this book, which surprises me, since this is Rowen's debut novel. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review!

Natalie @ Mindful Musings

Sara said...

Sounds like a great and funny book! Definitely on my TBR list!

Jenny N. said...

Great review. I've read Michelle's other books so can't wait to read her YA debut book as well.

donnas said...

Great review. Glad its sounds as good as her other books were.

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

I've seen some great reviews of this book. Glad to hear it's fast paced but good! :) Looking forward to reading it.

Paradox said...

I read this book too and it was awesome!!! Great review! I can't wait for the next book.

Hailey Miller said...

I have been wanting to read this book for what feels like ages! It sounds more and more awesome every time I hear about it!! I’m even more eager to get my hands on it, now that I know there is going to be a sequel (I both love and hate sequels. I love them because its fun daydreaming about what will happen in the next book and because the joy of reading a book you like is increased (since its more than one book). I hate them because I’m totally impatient and hate waiting for them to come out; plus I’m always broke so even when the book comes out, I can’t read it since I’m broke!!)

L said...

This book sounds really good. I love the title of it =D!

I ♥ Book Gossip said...

Love the cover for this book. Great review!

Anonymous said...

Adore all Michelle's other stuff - cant wait to read her YA line. Great review - definitely on my TBR list now!

Anonymous said...

great review, I want to read this book even more now.