Monday, June 8, 2009

The Monday Muse: Interview with Mandy Hubbard

Today's Muse: Mandy Hubbard
Author of: Prada & Prejudice (review here)
Bookworm: Welcome, Mandy! Let's start off with this very important question: how did you get the idea for Prada?
Mandy: I love reading regency romances. Call me crazy, but there's just something about a guy with money, a title, and a giant estate that seems appealing. What happened to all the dukes and earls and viscounts? The one trouble I have with regency romances is that the heroines come from another era. They react to situations differently than I would. So I decided to plunk a modern girl into 1815 and see what happened. As it turned out, a lot happened. 

Bookworm: How are you and Callie, the main character, alike? How are you different?
Mandy: She can be super shy and awkward, which is totally me. There's a Demi Lovato song where she says "I am confident--but I still have my moments," and that's me, for sure. However, I think I'm a little TOO passive or nice sometimes--I don't know if I could do everything Callie does while she's in 1815!

Bookworm: If you could travel back in time, which time period would you choose to visit?
Mandy: As you might guess, I'd love to be a regency gal for a few days. I want to wear pretty ballgowns and dance until dawn!

Bookworm: What's your favorite line from the book?
Mandy: "Until then, my name is Rebecca. I am a prim and proper regency girl. I wear dresses and curtsy. I belong here." That's the moment Callie decides to pretend to be Rebecca, to buy herself some time as she figures out what to do next. 

Bookworm: Do you own a pair of Prada shoes like Callie's?
Mandy: No, but I held a pair once, does that count?

Bookworm: What is your favorite pair of shoes?
Mandy: Right now, these cute little camo Converse I bought for a friend's wedding. (We all wore Converse under our dresses. It was SO awesome). 

Bookworm: Back to books...What three 2009 YA book releases are you loving so far this
Mandy: I thought The King's Rose by Alisa Libby was amazing (a historical set in the Tudor era), and I loved Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols (heavy on the romance, if you're a romance nut like me!) and finally, I can't wait for Fairy Tale to come out on the 23rd! Cyn Balog is my critique partner and I read it a couple years ago before she sold, and I can't wait to read it in book form!

Bookworm: What's next for you, writing-wise?
Mandy: I have a romance novella coming out from Harlequin in June 2010, and a few assorted YA projects in the works. I'll announce more as soon as I can!

Thanks so much, Mandy! 
Prada & Prejudice is being released on June 11, so definitely check it out!
Want to stay updated? Check out Mandy's blog!


B.A.M. Book Reviews said...

Thank you so much for the info! :)

Kate said...

Prada and Prejudice sounds like a great read. I loved the author interview :)

kim said...

This was a great interview, now I want to get this book :)